There is nothing more elegant than a white mild fish coated with a Classic French Beurre Blanc
Sauce. This is like you are eating in Paris. I just made this for a Romantic Dinner for Two and it
won lots of ‘oh my this is amazing how did you make this? ‘ Not everyone can master this sauce
as it has everything to do with ensuring you don’t separate the butter so it does not then
become too greasy. French Classical Sauces are my speciality and it took several years to
But here are some tips for you to try this and feel like you are a Master French Chef in your own
Kitchen! This of course is for your Special Occassion dinner and obviously not for the weekly
healthy dinner fare.
Beurre Blanc (White Butter Sauce)
3 sticks of cold unsalted butter cut into tablespoon chunks
1/4 cup of dry good drinking white wine
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of minced shallots
1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
2 pinches of white pepper
1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
Fresh Chives finely minced for garnish or Micro Greens.
1. Cut up the butter in chunks & put in bowl and keep cold in refrigerator . do not use frozen
butter as the water will break the sauce up.
2. In a medium sauce pan over low heat bring the wine & vinegar to boil. Finely mince the
shallots and add with S & P. White pepper is preferred so the sauce is a silky white with no
black specks. Lower heat to just a simmer and cook down until most of the liquid is
evaporated. (there should only be about 1 1/2 tablespoons of liquid left.)
3. Most Important here: Remove pan from heat & whisk 2 tablespoons of cold butter rapidly
into the reduction.
4. Now set pan back over very low heat & continue whisking in the butter a chunk only at a
time allowing each piece to melt before adding the next tablespoon. Remember never allow
the sauce to boil and it’s best to sometimes lift the pan up while whisking as to ensure it
does not separate. Always keep at a very low barely simmer.
5. Once all the butter has been well incorporated add the lemon juice and whisk well.
6. Strain through a fine sieve and serve immediately .
7. You can garnish with finely minced chives or top with Micro Greens .
Let me know how this works for you and happy to answer any questions you might have. You
have to be patient and work carefully but yes you too can master this elegant long favored
French Classic Beurre Blanc Sauce.
Cheers until Next Time.
By Chef Piper